From small changes like new hardware to bigger ones like cabinet refinishing, or even a large full-scale kitchen remodeling project, you can quickly update your kitchen and boost its style in far less time than you might think. Ready to replace or refinish cabinets, floors, and countertops? Here are some ideas to inspire and motivate.
Fabulous Kitchen Update Ideas We Love
- Cabinets. A kitchen update isn’t only about cabinets but refreshing or reconfiguring the ones you have (or adding new ones) will make a huge impact. As long as they’re structurally sound, investing in refacing or refinishing is a great way to give them a fresh look. Refinishing requires a bit more work while refacing offers more choices. Refinishing involves sanding and/or stripping and then putting a new coat of paint or stain. Refacing adds new exterior “skins” to each cabinet door. You can also try removing some of the upper cabinets and replace them with open shelving or putting in a more furniture-looking piece. A simple hardware change can also make a big difference.
- Color. It can energize a kitchen like nothing else. We’re not talking about painting the walls a vibrant hue; rather, try a few well-placed accessories or focal points that can transform the room. Adding a few bright spots to an otherwise neutral palette brings the room alive. Other opportunities for introducing color are painting the island, like this one we recently installed for a client, or with light fixtures, particularly pendants.
- Islands. Adding an island adds convenience and storage and if you choose to customize it, the options are limitless. There’s a wide variety of doors, countertops, and drawers in a myriad of configurations. For something a little different, install a stainless-steel countertop. The size of the island isn’t as important as making sure it makes working in the kitchen easy – 36 to 48 inches clearance on each side is ideal.
- Backsplashes. An easy but eye-catching update is a new backsplash. Again, the possibilities are seemingly endless. Subway tiles, painted mosaics, reclaimed wood, stainless, glass, and brick are just some of the exciting options.
- Mixed materials. In the past, kitchen design was more uniform – one type of cabinet, one countertop material, and so on. Today, designers are combining materials and finishes to beautiful effect. Another way to mix things up? Don’t buy appliances as a suite; instead, choose the models you love. Our designers can show you how to make it work so that no one even notices. A current trend we like is mix and match metals. (Right photo) Copper mixed with gunmetal, or bronze with silver may not sound like harmonious pairings, but it’s a design choice that can give your kitchen both a warm and eclectic vibe.
Other small changes that make a big impact include switching out light fixtures and pendants, changing dated faucets, and investing in some new furniture or rearranging what you already have. Even new bar stool tops can transform the feel of the kitchen.
Worth the Hassle
You spend a lot of time in the kitchen, shouldn’t it be a fun and attractive space to hang out in? Yes, a kitchen update is an investment of your time and money, but it’s well worth doing. When all is said and done, the enjoyment you get from the new room more than makes up for any inconvenience. Modern updates also make the room far more functional and will add value to your home.
A functional and appealing kitchen is important for your family’s and your guest’s enjoyment and updating the one you have can be a fun and exciting project. If your current kitchen style is feeling a little outdated and uninspiring, schedule a conversation with one of our designers today to discuss your options. We look forward to showing you all the exciting possibilities!