With the possible exception of a traditional galley, most kitchen layouts can be designed with an eye towards entertaining. If you love to entertain and are getting ready to remodel your kitchen, what matters more than the size of the room is the specialty features that are integrated into the space to make interacting with and serving your guests easy.
Before you begin your kitchen remodel, review how you use your current kitchen and set entertainment-focused goals for the remodel. It makes it a lot easier to stay on track as you make important decisions about the floor plan, cabinetry, appliances, and more.
Best Kitchen Layout for Entertaining
If you frequently entertain or love hosting big dinner parties, it makes sense to design a kitchen that can handle the extra workload. From an open concept to established work zones and multiple islands, here are some things to keep in mind as you get started.
- Established work zones for prep, cooking, and cleaning make entertaining a smooth process. Well-planned work zones mean multiple people can perform different tasks. Keep each zone at peak functionality by incorporating the necessary storage, appliances, and work surfaces.
- Think in terms of “2.” Nothing encourages guests to gather around more than an island, so why not add an extra one? Even smaller spaces can make this layout work if the islands are two different sizes. Some people use a peninsula or dual-purpose island with a dining table on one end as the social area. Consider a raised countertop on the peninsula to hide dirty dishes from view until the party’s over.
For larger spaces, use one island as a prep and cooking station and the other as a serving area with bar stools. Other twos to consider: dishwashers (one for pots and pans), cooktops, microwaves, and sinks.
- Upgraded appliances ensure everything is ready when you want it to be. A double range, warming drawer, and specialty refrigerator are all must-haves for entertainers.
- Love to bake? Install different counter surfaces for prep work: butcherblock for chopping and quartz for rolling out dough. Other helpful features include a pull out cutting board and spice rack.
- Build a wet bar. Even a small one is essential for storing stemware, beverages, and other cocktail fixings in one place outside the work triangle. A small sink prevents disruptions in the main prep area, and a temperature-controlled fridge keeps wine perfectly chilled.
- Trash is more abundant during large events. A trash compactor or two separate trash receptacles near the sinks help keep things neat and tidy.
- More serving pieces, more glasses, more food! There’s more of everything when you entertain. A walk-in pantry can be a lifesaver. It’s also a great location for the second microwave. Don’t have the space for a walk-in? Wellborn offers a wide range of pantry options with a place for everything to be neatly stored.
Beauty, comfort, and functionality are the recipe for an entertainer’s dream kitchen. But the ideal entertainer’s kitchen also accommodates everyday life. It’s a place for kids to do homework, for teens to gather after school with their friends, and for neighbors to sit and share a cup of coffee or tea.
Unsure how to create a great social space that’s equally perfect for family time? Our designers will show you how fun and easy it can be to get the entertainer’s kitchen you’ve always wanted while designing a room that is day-to-day functional.
Whatever layout you choose, making sure it’s accessible and easy to navigate is what we’re here for! We’ll help you choose the right features and fixtures for your lifestyle and share our thoughts on which kitchen remodeling trends are here to stay, and which ones you might want to avoid.
Have more questions about the best kitchen layouts for entertaining? Drop us a line today to learn more – we look forward to meeting with you!